Information, Education and Communication
Maharashtra State AIDS Control Society (MSACS) have used mass media, outdoor campaign and mid media activities to raise awareness among core group, bridge population and general population. Mainstreaming initiatives have been given high priority involving State Rural Health Mission, Health and Family Welfare Department, District Rural Development Agency, Police Department, Self Help Groups and Community leaders etc. This would be further scaled up in the coming years to reach out and sensitize maximum number of people throughout the State to achieve the desired results.
FOCUS AREAS FOR IEC DURING 2012-13
IEC activities during the year 2012-13 have supported the following major components in terms of disseminating the right information to target audiences and also to generate demand through on-ground communication activities, to avail various services like:
- ICTC/PPTCT promotion
- Strengthening linkage services at different levels
- Promotion of pre ART registration and ART services
- Promotion of Blood safety and blood donation
- Promotion of consistent condom use
- Establishing Red Ribbon Clubs
- Implementation of Tribal Action Plan
- Mainstreaming HIV/AIDS
IEC activities have been aligned so as to synchronize with the theme (Blood Safety, PPTCT, ICTC, STI, Condom Promotion, Youth HIV-TB and Stigma & Discrimination) calendar of National AIDS Control Organization (NACO).
This has ensured enabling environment by reinforcing the key messages and facilitated tangible behavior change among intended target audiences.
IEC ACTIVITIES BY MAHARASHTRA STATE AIDS CONTROL SOCIETY
The following IEC components were utilized to carry out activities to spread awareness on HIV prevention, treatment, care and support and ensure effective impact among various target audiences across Maharashtra.
- MASS MEDIA: Major activities were planned by NACO throughout the year, using TV and Radio.
- Television – Long Format: A Sequence of sessions at different intervals (9 programs in the long format version on TV according to NACO thematic calendar) are being carried out with Door Darshan’s Swastha Bharat program telecasted during 8 pm to 9 pm on various themes. It is usually on a long format mode where HIV/AIDS specialists/Doctors are invited to host the session. Saddhan Helpline is promoted to make clients call and ask questions and doubts. Helpline call rate is fixed as an indicator to measure the impact of this particular activity and it is noted that many more calls are made to DD in the following weeks even after the live shows. Total 9 programs are planned. In June 2012 telecasted show on Care and Support theme.
- Print Media
Newspaper advertisement: Advertisement are being published state wide High circulated newspapers on different themes. Helpline is promoted as part of this campaign and hence it remained as a proxy indicator to evaluate this campaign. In the Month of June STI advertisement will be published.
MSRTC Bus panel: Bus panel activity in urban towns and rural areas is being carried out from 15th June to 31st July 2012, on the ICTC theme- “HIV test ??”, covering 825 State Transport buses in 33 districts of Maharashtra.
Temporary Hoardings at S. T. Stands: It is planned to put up temporary hoardings in 13 districts of Maharashtra as per NACO thematic calendar.
- MID MEDIA
Interpersonal communications (IPC): Outreach workers (ORWs) engaged with different target audiences such as Migrants, FSW and MSM have been equipped with periodic training, to carry out the IPC activity. Tools such as “Flipcharts” and leaflets have been utilized to facilitate effective behavior change.
Folk Troupe Campaign (Phase I – 28th May 2012 to 15th June 2012): As per NACO operational guidelines MSACS has conducted State Level Folk Media Trainings affiliated to Mumbai University folk troupe academy & Songs & Drama division during 17th May to 19th May 2012. Total 33 teams were trained. In phase I, covered 31 districts with 33 teams. In the phase I total 1550 shows were completed covering Link Worker villages, TI areas.
IEC Material Printing:
A Variety of IEC material have been developed and distributed to all service providers across the state like:
- Printed pamphlets on ICTC, ART, PPTCT, Migrant, truckers, STI etc
- Printed Posters on Migrant, Truckers & STI
- Printed Flipcharts on PPTCT, ART, STI and distributed to the service providers
- Printed General Information booklets about HIV/AIDS, STI and the services provided by SACS and distributed to all service providers
- Various types of IEC material like ART booklet, flipchart for DIC & CCC, HIV/TB leaflet, condom leaflet are under production
- Exhibition Panels: Exhibition Panels were produced for Blood Safety and Drop in Centers and distributed.
- An article is being published in “Lokrajya” magazine (published by Govt. of Maharashtra - DGIPR) every month on various HIV related issues. Till June 2012 three articles were published on HIV/AIDS.
Helpline promotion: Helpline managed by MDACS has been promoted in the IEC component throughout the year across the state. MSACS has supported the operational cost of the promotional campaigns.