Historical Background/Periodical Development
Public Health Laboratory, Pune is the pioneer Institute in the State for
the development of Laboratory services. It came into existence as ''Sanitary
Board Laboratory'' in 1912. The Laboratory works for statutory control of Water
and Waste Water & Food examination bacteriological as well as chemical.
WHO recognized the Laboratory at Pune as District Referral Laboratory in
1960. In 1971 it was declared by WHO as Regional Referral Laboratory for receiving
UNICEF Aid. In 1973 the laboratory was elevated to the status of State Public
Health Laboratory. In 1975 Food and Agricultural Organization recognized the
laboratory for monitoring metallic contaminants in food commodities. The State
Public Health Laboratory, Pune, Regional Public Health Laboratory Nagpur & Aurangabad
have been notified by Government as Water & Waste Water characterization
laboratories under the Maharashtra Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution)
Act 1974 from May 1976 & Public Analysts were declared as Government Analysts
For proper coordination and rationalization of working of the laboratories
under Urban Development and Public Health Department an expert committee
was appointed in July 1974 and October 1975. As per the recommendations
of this committee laboratory of the water pollution Board, Maharashtra
prevention of Water Pollution Investigation Center Laboratory, Public
Health Engineering Laboratories and Food and Drug Administration
were transferred to the Directorate of Health Services. These laboratories
were merged with Health Services to form 11 Public Health Laboratories.
The places of these laboratories are as follows:
||Kokan Bhavan (Washi) Navi Mumbai
Besides 11 food testing laboratories, the D.P.H Laboratories at Ahmednagar, Satara, Thane,Jalna, Beed & Gadchiroli have been permitted to undertake the analysis of food samples under the provisions of the prevention of Food Adulteration Act 1954 & rules there under; as well as informal samples. These laboratories have started food analysis work from Nov. 2006 and at present 17 public health laboratories are functioning as Food Testing Laboratories.
Water and sanitation decade was observed from 1980 to 1990. During
this period from 1985 to 1989 remaining 19 District Public Health
Laboratories were created at the remaining districts for water quality
Government of India has recognized State Public Health Laboratory, Pune as
the Central Food Laboratory for the examination of Appellate food samples from
Madhya Pradesh, Div, Daman and Dadra-Nagar Haveli 1978. The State of Karnataka
and Union Territories of Delhi Corporation were added to Central Food Laboratory,
Pune in 1980.
At present there are 30 Public Health Laboratories in the state. Laboratory
at Pune functions as State Public Health Laboratory. Laboratories at Aurangabad
and Nagpur are Regional level laboratories. And remaining 27 Public Health
Laboratories are District Public Health Laboratories mainly engaged in chemical
quality monitoring of drinking water.
CENTRAL FOOD LABORATORY, PUNE-411001.
In year 1976 Government of India had decided to have one Central Food Laboratory
for each zone. Hence in addition to Central Food Laboratory, Calcutta,
three more Central Food Laboratories at Ghaziabad, Mysore and Pune
were created. The State Public Health Laboratory, Pune had been
notified as Central Food Laboratory. This Laboratory is functioning
since 1st April 1978 and it is performing various statutory functions
as per PFA act 1954 and Rules 1955 as follows.
||To examine statutory appellate Food Samples received
from various Courts of various States as per the jurisdiction
and Port Health Authorities.
||To create data for fixing Standards for various
Food commodities under the provisions of PFA Act and Rules.
||To participate in various collaborative projects
pertaining to Food commodities sponsored by ICMR, New Delhi,
CSIR, New Delhi, and WHO etc.
|| To participate in various Sub- committee Meetings
of Central Committee for Food Standards (CCFS).
The Scheme of Central Food Laboratory, Pune was accepted on the basis of
100 % grant-in-aid from Central Government.